Sunday, April 7, 2013

Why I Paint What I Paint

This is an 8"x10" red iron oxide and chalk on canvas of a young boy who I encountered in a  Nogales, Mexico apartment for recently deported women and children.  This morning I was walking and listening to a radio story about Afghanistan.  As the United States is winding down their presence in that country, the military spokesman said that they have learned about "bottom up diplomacy".  He went on to define "bottom up diplomacy" as things like building schools and taking the time to meet and talk to village elders in remote places.  He talked about approaching people in "their way...slowly", and he said that "to change hearts and minds" takes time. I want to be a nation and a person who practices "bottom up diplomacy".

No comments:

Post a Comment