Thursday, December 2, 2010

People With No Names - The Undocumented #42

This is the Iraqi mama. I met her at Goodwill when we bumped into each other. She has been here one year. She came with her daughter. The rest of the nuclear family was dispersed to many different nations. It was so weird to meet her and her daughter the very same day that I had read about her country being so uninhabitable in the New York Times. They are glad to be in a safe place even though far from loved ones. As I painted her, I realized that she reminded me of one of my best friends...also a mother of many. Both of these women are modest, content with basics, oh and clutch their purse the same way. You know the way your mom or grandma clutched her pocketbook!? See, we are ALL more alike than different!

No comments:

Post a Comment